You have just been arrested for DUI or a related driving violation and you need to hire a DUI attorney or lawyer in Colorado. What should you do to find the right law firm to represent you? When you need legal services, most often it starts with a telephone call. The DUI attorney or lawyer will most likely want to meet you in person; however, should you wish to hire a lawyer over the telephone, these are the questions that should be asked:
- How long have you been in practice?
- What part of your practice is devoted to the defense of DUI CASES?
- In what part of the state of Colorado do you usually practice?
- Have you tried DUI cases in the Appellate Courts to define or promote DUI defense?
- How many DUI cases have you handled?
- How many DUI jury trials have you tried?
- Have you presented seminars on DUI defense to other attorneys or taught attorneys how to defend DUIs?
- Are you trained/certified in the use of the Intoxilyzer 5000 as well as the Intoxilyzer 9000, the breath test machine which is now being used in DUI cases in Colorado?
- Are you trained/certified in the use of field sobriety tests such as The-Walk-and-Turn, the One-Legged Stand, or the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmas Test (eye test)?
- Do you have sufficient staff and experts to investigate AND pursue my case in ALL courts?
In addition, check the lawyer out in the community, as often times the lawyer’s reputation will speak louder than anything else. The lawyer should also handle your case personally, not through an assistant, unless it is a preliminary matter.
Always ask the lawyer for background information. This should be freely given. Initial consultations should be without charge; however, good DUI attorneys and lawyers are generally expensive in defending criminal matters.
I am available by phone or by office appointment for consultations. Please call 888-DAN-SHIP (326-7447) to schedule your free appointment today.